Image Gently and SNMMI
Go With the Guidelines to "Child-Size" Radiopharmaceutical Dose
- Download the Go With the Guidelines poster
- Download the Pediatric Radiopharmaceutical Administered Doses: 2010 North American Consensus Guidelines
- Click here for patient informational materials
Image Gently® and the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI) created the “Go With the Guidelines” awareness campaign to encourage community hospitals, academic hospitals and clinics to observe standardized guidelines on radiopharmaceutical dose for pediatric patients.
The “Go With the Guidelines” campaign reiterates this central Image Gently message:
As children may be more sensitive to radiation received from medical imaging scans than adults, and cumulative radiation exposure to their smaller bodies could, over time, have adverse effects, physicians who perform nuclear medicine imaging exams on children are urged to:
- Follow the North American Guidelines for Pediatric Nuclear Medicine
- Create high-quality images with low radiation dose.
- Determine the appropriate radiopharmaceutical dose by body weight.
To foster awareness of this message, Image Gently and SNMMI created and distributed thousands of posters reminding medical practitioners to use these new guidelines for 11 frequently performed imaging studies in children. A companion Image Gently/SNMMI publication, “What You Should Know About Pediatric Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Safety,” can help families gain a better understanding of the complex factors involved in providing safe, effective nuclear medicine exams to children. These publications can be downloaded from the Go With the Guidelines section of the Image Gently website.