Nuclear Medicine is a small, but increasingly important component of the larger imaging field in the health care system. A number of patterns and trends seem especially important for the short-term future of nuclear medicine professions, including:
- The continuing rapid increase in the number of nuclear medicine procedures across the US;
- An accelerating shift of nuclear medicine away from hospitals into non-hospital sites;
- A growing number of nuclear medicine procedures conducted by non-nuclear medicine physicians, especially cardiologists;
- Continuing evolution of both nuclear medicine cameras and related radio-pharmaceuticals by vendors driven by business models of operation;
- An evolution in the roles of nuclear medicine scientists.